You are here:Home » Blog » Desserts Recipes » Cakes » Homemade Cherry Cheesecake
Created By: Jillian |Updated: | View Our Disclosure Policy
The recipe prices will vary based on fluctuating grocery costs. Please use what is posted as a guide.
Recipe Cost $25.93
Recipe Serving Cost $2.59
Jump to Recipe Print Recipe
This Homemade Cherry Cheesecake is velvety smooth, creamy, and rich. It has a buttery crust and is topped with a sweet yet tart cherry sauce.
This recipe costs about $25.93 to make. The recipe makes ten servings for approximately $2.59 per serving.
Cherry desserts are some of my favorites to enjoy throughout the year. A few cherry desserts that I recommend are these Cheesecake Bars, White Forest Cake, and this Cherry Crumble Pie.
Homemade Cherry Cheesecake is a classic dessert that is always a crowd favorite. This recipe is no exception!
The cheesecake is entirely made from scratch and worth the time and effort it takes.Read the notes section in the recipe card for essential tips to help you make this cheesecake perfectly.
The homemade graham cracker crust is made with three simple ingredients. It tastes buttery and fresh.
The silky base is made with sour cream to help make it smooth and a touch of lime to add a bit of tang. It is then topped with a sweet and tart cherry topping. The result is a rich and creamy Cherry Cheesecake that melts in your mouth.
Ingredients and Estimated Cost
Per Serving Cost: $2.59
Recipe Cost: $25.93
- 2 ½ cups crushed graham crackers – $2.48
- ½ cup granulated sugar – $0.08
- ⅔ cup salted butter – $1.49
- 24 ounces cream cheese – $8.22
- 1 ⅓ cup granulated sugar – $0.33
- ⅔ cup heavy cream – $1.66
- ½ cup sour cream – $1.19
- 4 Tablespoons lime juice – $0.12
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract – $0.50
- 4 large eggs – $1.72
- 2 large egg yolks – $0.42
- 2 Tablespoons cornstarch – $0.06
- 1 ¼ teaspoons salt – $0.02
- 6 cups frozen cherries – $7.49
- 2 Tablespoons water – $0.00
- 1 teaspoon almond extract – $0.12
- 2 ½ teaspoons cornstarch – $0.03
NOTE: The recipe prices are calculated by using grocery store websites. The recipe cost is calculated by the amounts needed for the recipe. The actual cost of the recipe will vary depending on what ingredients you already have. I updated the pricing for this recipe in February 2023.
How To Make Cherry Cheesecake
***For complete recipe instructions, see the recipe card below.
- First, preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. And line the bottom and sides of the springform pan with parchment paper.
- Next, combine the graham crackers and sugar in a medium-sized bowl. Then add in the melted butter and mix until the texture is like wet sand.
- Evenly press down the crust into the springform pan. Bake the crust for ten minutes and then set it aside to cool.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F while you make the cheesecake batter.
- First, beat the cream cheese and sugar together for two minutes using a stand mixer.
- Scrape the sides of the mixing bowl with a rubber spatula. Then mix in the heavy cream, sour cream, lime juice, and vanilla.
- Next, add in the eggs and mix for thirty seconds before mixing in the cornstarch and salt.
- Then, cover the bottom and sides of the springform pan with tin foil and make a water bath by placing one inch of water in a broiler pan.
- Pour the cheesecake batter on top of the prebaked crust and bake for ten minutes.
- Reduce the temperature to 250 degrees F and bake for an additional hour.
- At the one-hour mark, turn the oven off and keep the cheesecake in the oven to rest for thirty minutes.
- Then, open the oven door and let the cheesecake rest for thirty minutes.
- Remove the cheesecake from the oven and let it cool completely on a wire rack. Then cover and place it in the fridge to chill for eight hours.
- Make the cherry topping by placing the cherries, sugar, lime juice, water, almond extract, and salt into a large pot.
- Cook over medium heat until the mixture reaches a simmer, and then turn the heat down to medium-low and cook for ten minutes.
- Then, use an immersion blender to blend the mixture into a sauce. Add the cornstarch and simmer for a few more minutes.
- Remove the sauce from the heat and allow the sauce to cool completely before placing in the fridge to chill.
- Finally, unmold the cheesecake and top it with the cherry topping before cutting and serving.
- Plain or greek yogurt may be used instead of sour cream.
- Lemon juice may be used instead of lime juice.
- Vanilla extract may be used instead of almond extract.
SERVE: You can keep the cheesecake out for no more than two hours before it needs to be covered and refrigerated.
STORE: Cheesecake may be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days.
FREEZE:It’s best to freeze the cheesecake before the cherry sauce is poured over the top. Wrap individual slices in one layer of plastic wrap and one layer of foil. Then, place the slices in freezer-safe Ziploc bags. Frozen cheesecake slices will keep for up to two months when stored this way.
To freeze the cherry sauce, place it in a freezer-safe container or zip top bag and freeze for up to two months.
THAW: Thaw both the cheesecake and cherry sauce overnight in the refrigerator.
Which is better, baked or no-bake cheesecake?
Each one serves a purpose and are both delicious. However, if I had to choose between a baked cheesecake or a no-bake cheesecake, I would pick a baked cheesecake every time. A baked cheesecake is smooth, creamy, dense, and fluffy in texture, while a no-bake cheesecake cannot achieve that same texture.
What does lemon juice do to cheesecake?
Lemon juice creates a chemical reaction from the acidity in the juice that reacts to the fatty proteins. The result is the thick cheesecake that we all know and love. I use lime juice to achieve the same result.
What is the difference between New York-style cheesecake and regular cheesecake?
New York Cheesecake typically uses more cream cheese to create an extra dense and rich texture and taste. In contrast, regular cheesecake uses heavy and sour cream to create a silky smooth, creamy texture.
- No-Bake Cherry Chocolate Cheesecake
- Instant Pot Pumpkin Cheesecake
- Lemon Pistachio Bundt Cake
- Best Ever Coconut Cream Cake
- Copycat Olive Garden Lemon Cream Cake
- Epic Buckeye Brownie Cheesecake Cake
- Cheesecake Factory Carrot Cake Cheesecake Copycat
- Red Velvet Cheesecake Cake Copycat
- No-Bake Oreo Cheesecake
This Homemade Cherry Cheesecake is velvety smooth, creamy, and rich. It has a buttery crust and topped with a sweet, yet tart cherry sauce.
Print Pin Rate
Keyword: cheesecake, cherry
Prep Time: 45 minutes
Cook Time: 2 hours 25 minutes
Chill Time: 8 hours
Total Time: 11 hours 10 minutes
Servings: 10 people
US Customary – Metric
Author: Jillian – a Food Folks and Fun original!
GRAHAM CRACKER CRUST:
- 2 ½ cups crushed graham crackers
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ⅔ cup salted butter melted
- 24 ounces cream cheese softened
- ⅔ cup granulated sugar
- ⅔ cup heavy cream
- ½ cup sour cream
- 2 Tablespoons lime juice
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 large eggs
- 2 large egg yolks
- 2 Tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 6 cups frozen cherries
- ⅔ cup granulated sugar
- 2 Tablespoons lime juice
- 2 Tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 ½ teaspoon cornstarch
US Customary – Metric
PREP OVEN AND PAN:
Move the oven rack to the second to lowest position and preheat the oven to 350°F.
Line the bottom and sides of a 9” springform pan with parchment paper and set aside.
MAKE THE CRUST:
In a medium sized bowl combine graham crackers and sugar.
Add in melted butter and mix until well coated and the texture is like wet sand.
Transfer the crust mixture into the prepared springform pan, then press down evenly.
Place the springform pan into the preheated oven on the center rack and bake for 10 minutes, until set.
Once baked, remove from the oven and set aside to cool.
MAKE CHEESECAKE BATTER:
Preheat the oven to 400°F.
In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment combine cream cheese and sugar.
Beat together on medium speed for 2 minutes, until smooth.
Stop the mixer and scrape down the sides of the mixing bowl with a rubber spatula.
Add in heavy cream, sour cream, lime juice and vanilla. Mix to combine.
Add in the eggs and mix for 30 seconds. Add in cornstarch and salt and mix until just combined.
Cover the bottom and sides of the springform pan with tin foil to prevent any water from seeping in.
Make a water bath by placing 1” of water in a broiler pan.
Pour the cheesecake batter onto the prebaked crust. bake for 10 minutes.
Reduce the temperature to 250° and continue baking for 1 hour.
Once the bake time is up, turn the oven off leaving the cheesecake inside to rest for 30 minutes.
Open the oven door and let the cheesecake rest inside the oven for another 30 minutes.
Once the cool down time is up, remove the cheesecake from the oven and place it onto a wire cooling rack to let it cool completely.
Once completely cooled, cover and place it in the fridge to chill for 8 hours.
MAKE THE CHERRY TOPPING:
While the cheesecake is baking, make the cherry topping. Place cherries, sugar, lime juice, water, almond extract and salt into a large pot.
Cook over medium heat until the mixture reaches a simmer.
Turn the heat down to medium-low to maintain a simmer, then cook for 10 minutes stirring occasionally.
Use an immersion blender to blend the mixture just a bit to make it more of a sauce.
Add in the cornstarch and simmer for a few more minutes.
Remove from the heat and let cool completely.
Once cooled, cover and place into the fridge to chill alongside the cheesecake.
Once the cheesecake has chilled, unmold and place it onto a cake stand or plate.
Top with the cherry topping.
Cut and serve the cheesecake.
- It is very important to stop the mixer and scrape down the sides of the mixing bowl when making the cheesecake batter. This will ensure a smooth, lump-free cheesecake.
- Do not skip the water bath. This is an imperative step that will help to prevent cracks from forming. If you do not have a baking dish or broiler pan large enough to hold the springform pan, you may use a baking sheet with enough of a lip on it to hold a little bit of water. Add more water halfway through baking or when the water evaporates.
- It is important to follow the cool-down times as instructed. Cooling the cheesecake down slowly will allow it to set completely and is what gives it that wonderful velvety texture.
Serving: 1slice | Calories: 762kcal | Carbohydrates: 74g | Protein: 10g | Fat: 49g | Saturated Fat: 28g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g | Monounsaturated Fat: 13g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 230mg | Sodium: 785mg | Potassium: 384mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 56g | Vitamin A: 1800IU | Vitamin C: 8mg | Calcium: 136mg | Iron: 2mg
Tried this recipe?Follow me @FoodFolksandFun
More You'll Love
Chewy Gingerbread Bars
Italian Ricotta Cookies